Monday, December 7, 2009

"Standing on the Line"

A reflection inspired by Galatians 3:23-29



My son standing on the Equator line at Mitad del Mundo, just outside Quito, Ecuador.

By Magdalena I. García

I stand at the Equator line
with one foot in each hemisphere
aware that the world is one
and yet
at the same time
divided by many lines
real and imaginary
that land us on opposite sides.

I stand at the church line
with one foot in each hemisphere
aware that the faith is one
and yet
at the same time
fragmented by many communions
historic and contemporary
that gather us into exclusive circles.

I stand at the identity line
with one foot in each hemisphere
aware that I am one
and yet
at the same time
integrated by many strands
tangible and intangible
that weave me into multiple quilts.

Such is the journey of immigrants who live…
anchored in an ocean with deep traditions,
while navigating streams that flow through new landscapes;
connected to roots that give grounding,
while climbing branches that allow new vistas;
walking trails layered with history,
while stepping on stones that pave a new day.

Perhaps immigrant people
can help the world understand
what it means to be a bridge builder.

Perhaps immigrant members
can help the church understand
what it means to be a new creation.

%%%

No comments:

Post a Comment