Tuesday, December 8, 2009

“Responding to Angels”

Reflection written for the Second Sunday of Advent 2 as “something to ponder” following the Scripture readings.



Multicultural angels made for the Second Sunday of Advent to emphasize peace among peoples and nations.

By Magdalena I. García

Luke 1:5-17
Zechariah and Elizabeth

Talk about “at old age, smallpox”!
Dear God, sometimes we wonder if you’ve lost your marbles!
Can’t you see that we’re a little old for Lamaze classes?
We barely have energy to walk,
and now you want us to prepare for childbirth?
How can this be?
But we’ve learned that you never call on the wrong people.
So give us the humility…to accept that you know better
by doing the unthinkable.

Luke 1:26-38
Mary

Talk about an inconvenient truth!
Dear God, sometimes I wonder if you skipped biology class!
Can’t you see that in my town babies are home made?
I barely announced that I was engaged,
and now you say that I’m having a baby shower?
How can this be?
But I’ve learned that you never choose the wrong people.
So give me the patience…to trust your wisdom
by putting aside my pride.

Matthew 1:18-25
Joseph

Talk about being the talk of the town!
Dear God, sometimes I wonder if you’re out of your mind!
Can’t you see that around here people walk with stones in their pockets?
I barely wanted to leave quietly,
and now you say that I have to unpack my bags?
How can this be?
But I’ve learned that you never challenge the wrong people.
So give me the courage…to do your will
by embracing the rejected.

Luke 2:8-15
Shepherds

Talk about adding insult to injury!
Dear God, sometimes we wonder if you’re paying attention!
Can’t you see that we have plenty of sheep to care for?
We barely get any sleep,
and now you want us to take a trip to Bethlehem?
How can this be?
But we’ve learned that you never send the wrong people.
So give us the strength…to follow where you lead
by shifting our priorities.

%%%

“Respuesta a los Ángeles”
Reflexión escrita para el Segundo Domingo de Adviento como “algo en qué pensar” tras la lectura de las Escrituras.

Lucas 1:5-17
Zacarías y Elisabet

Vaya, ¡esto sí que se llama “a la vejez, viruelas”!
Oye, Diosito, ¡a veces me pregunto si estás chiflado!
¿No ves que ya estamos muy viejos para las clases de Lamaze?
Apenas tenemos energía para caminar,
¿y ahora tú quieres que nos preparemos para el parto?
¿Cómo es posible?
Pero hemos aprendido que tú nunca llamas a la gente equivocada.
Así que danos humildad…para aceptar que tú sabes lo que haces
al aceptar lo impensable.

Lucas 1:26-38
María

Vaya, ¡esto sí que se trata de una verdad incómoda!
Oye, Diosito, a veces me pregunto sit e saltaste las clases de biología!
¿No ves que en mi pueblo los bebés se hacen en casa?
Apenas anuncié que estoy comprometida,
¿y ahora tú me dices que me harán una fiesta para embarazadas?
¿Cómo es posible?
Pero he aprendido que tú nunca eliges a la gente equivocada.
Así que dame paciencia…para confiar en tu sabiduría
al hacer a un lado mi orgullo.

Mateo 1:18-25
José

Vaya, esto sí que es ser el hazmerreír de todo el mundo!
Oye, Diosito, ¡a veces me pregunto si estás fuera de tus cabales!
¿No ves que aquí la gente anda con piedras en los bolsillos?
Apenas quería irme calladamente,
y ahora me dices que tengo que desempacar mi valija?
¿Cómo es posible?
Pero he aprendido que tú nunca retas a la gente equivocada.
Así que dame valor…para hacer tu voluntad
al abrazar a los rechazados.

Lucas 2:8-15
Pastores

Vaya, ¡esto sí que es andar “de mal en peor”!
Oye, Diosito, a veces nos preguntamos si estás distraído!
¿No ves que tenemos muchas ovejas que cuidar?
Apenas podemos dormir,
y ahora tú quieres que vayamos a Belén?
¿Cómo es posible?
Pero hemos aprendido que tú nunca envías a la gente equivocada.
Así que danos fortaleza…para seguir adonde tú nos guíes
al cambiar nuestras prioridades.

%%%

No comments:

Post a Comment