Saturday, June 3, 2017

“In our own idioma”


A Pentecost poem in Spanglish based on Acts 2:1-13

by Magdalena I. García



A pomegranate sculpture titled “Together” on display at the Lieberman Center for Health and Rehabilitation, in Skokie, Illinois. Jewish tradition teaches that the pomegranate is a symbol of righteousness because it is said to have 613 seeds, which corresponds with the 613 mitzvot, or commandments, of the Torah.
“In our own languages we hear them speaking about God’s deeds of power.” – Acts 2:11b

I say sí,
[1] you say no way,
I say ven aquí,
[2] you say go away.

I say prieto,
[3] you say light,
I say únete,
[4] you say divide.

I say probemos,
[5] you say don’t start,
I say alcanza,
[6] you say pie chart.

I say conga,
[7] you say piano,
I say corito,
[8] you say soprano.

I say barrio,
[9] you say temple,
I say arriésgate,
[10] you say rental.

But some day, by God’s grace,
we will hear each other clarito,
[11]
and hold hands, and dance together,
and love each other like hermanitos.
[12]

© Magdalena I. García


[1] yes
[2] come here
[3] dark skinned
[4] join in
[5] let’s try
[6] there’s enough
[7] musical instrument
[8] praise song
[9] neighborhood
[10] risk
[11] clearly
[12] brothers and sisters

No comments:

Post a Comment