Sunday, December 5, 2010

Advent 2: Liturgy of the Angels / Adviento 2: Liturgia de los Ángeles


Claudia Posada (left) and Pastor Magdalena give voice to the angels. / Claudia Posada y la pastora Magdalena expresan el sentir de los ángeles.

Encountering God in Unexpected Ways
Liturgy written for a bilingual worship at Ravenswood Presbyterian Church, on December 5, 2010.

The prophecy: Luke 1:5-25
The Gospel: Luke 1:26-38

By Magdalena I. García

Introduction
Today’s readings introduce two women who encountered God in similar yet unexpected ways. One is Elizabeth, the mother of John the Baptist, who had been barren, and unexpectedly conceives in her old age. The other is Mary, the mother of Jesus, who was engaged and unexpectedly finds herself pregnant. They both remind us that God’s purposes are often quite different from human plans, and that God’s time often interrupts our schedules. But perhaps more importantly, both Elizabeth and Mary remind us that when we are receptive to God’s initiative, wonderful things can indeed come about.

The angel of barren women

I am the angel of barren and elderly women.
I heard your cry when you were not able to conceive.
I valued you when you were deemed worthless and unproductive.
I shared your anger and frustration
when you were not able to perform the role
that society considers most important for women.
I comforted you when they blamed you for your condition.
I understood when they made light of your affliction.
I felt your pain when the years past, and you feared growing old alone.
I encouraged you when you felt lonely, forgotten, and abandoned,
perhaps even by God.
I protected you when destructive thoughts threatened your wellbeing.
I rejoiced when you found a purpose for your life,
and looked to the future with hope.
I am the angel of barren women…
I walk with you every day of your life.

The angel of single mothers
I am the angel of single mothers.
I heard your cry when your menstruation was late.
I wiped your tears when the doctor confirmed
that you were expecting a baby.
I felt your panic as you told family and friends that you were pregnant.
I comforted you when others judged you and rejected you.
I watched your struggle, as you considered the possibility of abortion.
I rejoiced when you decided to give life a chance.
I encouraged you when you felt guilty and sad.
I protected you when loved ones and friends abandoned you.
I welcomed you when strangers took care of you
and provided for your child.
I am the angel of single mothers…
I walk with you every day of your life.

Reflection question
Who is your angel? And for whom can you be an angel today?

%%%

Adviento 2: Liturgia de los Ángeles

Encontrando a Dios de Formas Inesperadas
Liturgia escrita para un culto bilingüe en la Iglesia Presbiteriana Ravenswood, el 5 de diciembre de 2010.

La profecía: Lucas 1:5-25
El Evangelio: Lucas 1:26-38

Por Magdalena I. García

Introducción
Las lecturas de hoy nos presentan a dos mujeres que tienen un encuentro con Dios de forma similar pero inesperada. Una es Elizabet o Isabel, la madre de Juan el Bautista, que había sido estéril e inesperadamente concibe siendo una anciana. La otra es María, la madre de Jesús, que estaba comprometida para casarse e inesperadamente descubre que está embarazada. Ambas nos recuerdan que los propósitos de Dios a menudo son muy diferentes de los planes humanos, y que el tiempo de Dios a menudo interrumpe nuestros horarios. Pero quizás más importante aun sea el que ambas, Elizabet y María, nos recuerdan que cuando somos receptivos o receptivas a la iniciativa de Dios pueden suceder cosas maravillosas.

El ángel de la mujer estéril
Yo soy el ángel de la mujer estéril.
Yo oí tu llanto cuando no pudiste concebir.
Yo te valoré cuando te consideraron despreciable e improductiva.
Yo compartí tu ira y tu frustración cuando no pudiste cumplir
con el papel que la sociedad considera más importante para la mujer.
Yo te consolé cuando te culparon por tu condición.
Yo te comprendí cuando le restaron importancia a tu aflicción.
Yo sentí tu dolor cuando los años pasaron, y temiste envejecer a solas.
Yo te animé cuando te sentiste sola, olvidada y abandonada,
quizás incluso por Dios.
Yo te protegí cuando pensamientos destructivos
amenazaron tu bienestar.
Yo me regocijé cuando encontraste un propósito para tu vida,
y miraste al futuro con esperanza.
Yo soy el ángel de la mujer estéril…
Yo camino contigo cada día de tu vida.

El ángel de las madres solteras
Yo soy el ángel de las madres solteras.
Yo oí tu llanto cuando la menstruación se tardó.
Yo sequé tus lágrimas cuando el médico confirmó
que estabas esperando un bebé.
Yo sentí tu pánico al contarle a familiares y amigos
que estabas embarazada.
Yo te consolé cuando otros te juzgaron y te rechazaron.
Yo ví tu lucha al considerar la posibilidad del aborto.
Yo me regocijé cuando decidiste darle una oportunidad a la vida.
Yo te animé cuando te sentiste culpable y triste.
Yo te protegí cuando seres queridos y amistades te abandonaron.
Yo te di la bienvenida cuando extraños te cuidaron
y proveyeron para tu bebé.
Yo soy el ángel de las madres solteras…
Yo camino contigo cada día de tu vida.

Pregunta para reflexión
¿Quién es tu ángel? ¿Y para quién puedes tú ser un ángel hoy?

%%%

No comments:

Post a Comment