Monday, April 27, 2009

"Out of the Blue"

A reflection based on Luke 24:36-41

A new shoot breaks through disturbing the dormant ground. mig
Un nuevo brote emerge y altera la tierra dormida. mig

By Magdalena I. García

He comes out of the blue with the look of a ghost,
like someone who hasn’t slept for more than three days,
and quietly says: “Peace unto you”.

He comes out of the blue with the smell of dead flowers,
like someone who hasn’t bathed for more than three days,
and persistently says: “Look at me…touch me”.

He comes out of the blue with a growling stomach,
like someone who hasn’t eaten for more than three days,
and shamelessly says: “Do you have any food?”

I wonder who told this appalling bum
that he can show up like this, without appointment or warning,
and expect me to immediately make time on my agenda?

I wonder who told this disgusting tramp
that he can show up like this, without contract or agreement,
and expect me to immediately offer tender loving care?

I wonder who told this impertinent glutton
that he can show up like this, without previous arrangements,
and expect me to immediately set a place at my table?

Tell him I’m on a trip, that I took a long vacation.
Tell him I’m not available, that I still haven’t come home.
Tell him I’m sick in bed, that I’ve started having seizures.
Tell him whatever you want...but make sure that he takes off.

He said not to worry, today you’re extremely busy,
he’ll be back another day...out of the blue...
when you make time on your crammed agenda,
when you grow new skin on your callous hands,
when you make room at your crowded table.

%%%

“De repente”


Una reflexión basada en Lucas 24:36-41

Por Magdalena I. García

Se aparece de repente con cara de fantasma
como quien no ha pegado un ojo por más de tres días
y dice calladamente: “Recibe la paz”.

Se aparece de repente con olor a flor podrida
como quien no se ha bañado por más de tres días
y dice insistentemente: “Mírame…tócame”.

Se aparece de repente con la barriga vacía
como quien no ha probado bocado por más de tres días
y dice descaradamente: “¿Tienes algo que comer?”

¿Quién le habrá dicho a ese andariego espantoso
que puede llegar así, sin cita ni aviso previo
y pretender que de inmediato mi agenda detenga?

¿Quién le habrá dicho a ese confianzudo mugroso
que puede llegar así, sin contratos ni convenios
y pretender que de inmediato mis manos lo atiendan?

¿Quién le habrá dicho a ese metiche goloso
que puede llegar así, sin el trámite necesario
y pretender que de inmediato mi mesa extienda?

Dile que estoy de viaje, que me fui de vacaciones.
Dile que ahora no puedo, que todavía no he llegado.
Dile que estoy en cama, que me han dando convulsiones.
Dile lo que se te ocurra...pero que se largue a otro lado.

Dijo que no te afanes, que hoy estás muy atareada,
pero que cualquier otro día se aparece...de repente...
cuando hagas un espacio en tu agenda tan apretada,
cuando crezca nueva piel en tus manos tan encalladas,
cuando dispongas un puesto en tu mesa tan atestada.

%%%

No comments:

Post a Comment