Friday, May 22, 2009

“Abiding”

A reflection based on John 15

A branch of bleeding hearts blooming in my yard. / Una rama de corazón sangrante floreciendo en mi patio.

by Magdalena I. García

“Jesus said: ‘I am the vine, you are the branches. Those who abide in me and I in them bear much fruit, because apart from me you can do nothing.’ ”

Abide?
My restless mind is not fond of waiting.
My busy body forgets about remaining.
So day after day I get up and get going.

They say it’s better to eat the frog
of unpleasant duties bright and early,
instead of beating around the bush
and procrastinating.
But after hours of doing,
progress eludes me
and exhaustion invades me.

God of the vine,
free me from the ignorance of thinking
that I can accomplish anything
by keeping you apart from me.
God of the vine,
free me from the arrogance of believing
that there can be a genuine me
without being rooted in you.


%%%

“Permanecer”


Una reflexión basada en Juan 15

por Magdalena I. García


“Jesús dijo: ‘Yo soy la vid y ustedes son las ramas. Quien permanece en mí, como yo en él/ella, dará mucho fruto; separados de mí no pueden ustedes hacer nada’ ”.

¿Permanecer?
A mi inquieta mente no le gusta esperar.
A mi ocupado cuerpo se le olvida descansar.
Así que día tras día me levanto y echo a andar.

Dicen que es mejor comerse el sapo
de los deberes fastidiosos a primera hora,
en lugar de dar mil vueltas
y postergar los quehaceres.
Pero tras horas de trajinar,
el progreso me esquiva
y el cansancio me invade.

Dios de la vid,
libérame de la ignorancia
de pensar que puedo lograr algo
apartándote de mi.

Dios de la vid,
libérame de la arrogancia de creer
que puede haber un yo genuino
desarraigándome de ti.


© Magdalena I. García

No comments:

Post a Comment