Thursday, January 28, 2010

January 28 - “Cultivo una rosa blanca”


Cuban poet José Martí, whose birthday is observed today.

By Magdalena I. García

Today is sort of a holiday in Cuba, because it’s the 157th anniversary of the birth of José Martí, a national hero and an important figure in Latin American literature, better known as the “Apostle of Cuban Independence.” As Wikipedia indicates, “in his short life he was a poet, an essayist, a journalist, a revolutionary philosopher, a translator, a professor, a publisher, and a political theorist. Through his writings and political activity, he became a symbol for Cuba’s bid for independence against Spain in the 19th century.”

From a very early age, Cuban children are taught to honor Martí, and I remember my elementary school’s courtyard had a rincón martiano (like a Martí shrine), with the following quote inscribed in stone: “Children should burst out crying when a day has gone by without them learning something new, without them serving a purpose” (my free translation of “Los niños deben echarse a llorar, cuando ha pasado un día sin que aprendan algo nuevo, sin que sirvan de algo”).

In addition, Cuban children are expected to memorize Martí’s poetry, the prime example being “Cultivo una rosa blanca,” which is often recited at public events:

Cultivo una rosa blanca
en julio como en enero,
para el amigo sincero
que me da su mano franca.

Y para el cruel que me arranca
el corazón con que vivo,
cardo ni ortiga cultivo,
cultivo una rosa blanca.


I cultivate a white rose
in July as in January
for the sincere friend
who gives me his hand frankly.

And for the cruel person who tears out
the heart with which I live,
I cultivate neither nettles nor thorns:
I cultivate a white rose.


“Cultivo una rosa blanca...” It’s a tall order, but it’s a wonderful credo. I’d say all Cubans—on the island and in exile—need to recite this poem over and over until it gets into our bloodstream. Only then will we be able to build a bridge over the 90 miles that have separated us for over 50 years. Only then will we be able to embrace each other with forgiveness and tolerance. And we ought to export it to the whole world. It might not be as profitable as cigars, but it will leave behind an even better aroma.

No comments:

Post a Comment