Sunday, January 24, 2010

January 23 - Market Day: Pomegranate


My first ever fresh pomegranate.

By Magdalena I. García

Friday is my day off, so it’s the day I do most of my errands, such as grocery shopping. Last year, a new store—Fresh Farms International Market—opened on the Northwest side of Chicago (actually in Niles, just over the Chicago borderline), and since then it’s become my favorite place to shop. It’s a dream-come-true supermarket with European flair and ethnic flavor, but without the nose-up-in-the-air attitude or the burn-a-hole-in-your-pocket prices associated with Whole Foods or Trader Joe’s.

Fresh is a key word in the store’s name and merchandise, where every week you find plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables, fresh fish, fresh delicatessen, fresh cheese, fresh breads, fresh meats... Alright, let me stop there. And just in case you’re wondering, I don’t get discounts or a commission for promoting the place, although I understand this small chain of supermarkets is owned by Greek-Americans who are close relatives of my dentist.

Anyway, as I was doing my shopping yesterday, I decided that every Friday I’m going to pick a new product to sample, and write about it on my blog. So this is the first edition of “Market Day.” After all, shouldn’t a multicultural person seek to diversify her diet, and expand her culinary horizons?

This week’s choice was the pomegranate. I like pomegranate juice, and I have seen fresh pomegranate on display many times, but I had never bought the fruit nor eaten it fresh. They were on sale for 79 cents each, and I couldn’t resist the beautiful pile by the main entrance door, so I bought two pomegranates. This was quite a modest investment compared to the Middle-Eastern looking couple standing next to me: they had three bags full of pomegranates in their shopping cart. I asked them for instructions on how to eat this exotic fruit. The man deferred to his wife, who clearly spoke English more fluently. The wife simply said, “You peel and eat the seed inside. If it’s not sweet enough you can add sugar. It’s good for you.” I thanked her, and she smiled and walked away.

I brought the pomegranates home, and put them on the kitchen counter. A few minutes later my husband walked by, stopped in his tracks at the unusual sight, and, with a tone that suggested both curiosity and distaste, asked, “What’s that?” I introduced him to the pomegranate and invited him to sample one. Then I realized that I did not know if they were ripe (both felt hard), much less how to cut them and eat them. So I did exactly what you might expect a Presbyterian minister to do: I googled “how to peel a pomegranate,” and I discovered there is an abundance of information online, including YouTube videos! (Parliamentary procedures was part of the curriculum at seminary, but little instruction was given on missionary adventures!)

After watching the video, we learned a pomegranate should be firm (not soft as most fruits when they are ripe), so we got down to the job. We cut open the pomegranate, and started loosening and sampling the ruby-colored seeds (called arils). They are actually quite tasty, and we enjoyed the treat, although it’s a little time consuming, and we managed to splash red spots all over the kitchen sink and the dishes next to it.

As I reflected on this experience, I marveled at how quick we can be to cross the bridge from surprise to disgust and then on to rejection. I also noticed how much effort it takes to sample new things, to feel comfortable with new textures, sights and smells, and to master even the simple art of eating a fruit. (I have a whole new sense of appreciation for the Garden of Eden story, and a whole lot more respect for poor Eve! I think she was the first multicultural person in the Bible!) No wonder we often choose not to engage the things—or the people—who are different! But let me tell you: the results are juicy!

Thanks to Wikipedia, I also found out that the pomegranate is native to Iran, and it’s been widely cultivated throughout Armenia, Azerbaijan, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Turkey, North India, the drier parts of southeast Asia, Peninsular Malaysia, the East Indies, the Mediterranean and Southern Europe and tropical Africa. So thanks to the pomegranate, all of the sudden I feel healthier. I also feel like a United Nations ambassador of sorts. All that’s missing is a free gift card for Fresh Farms, or a discount from my dentist!

No comments:

Post a Comment