Wednesday, November 9, 2016

“On the morning after” / “A la mañana siguiente”

First thoughts on the election of Donald J. Trump as the 45th President of the United States
The angle of grief. Internet image. / El ángel del duelo. Imagen de internet.

by Magdalena I. García


I am a woman.
I am a person of color.
I am an immigrant.
I am an LGTBQ ally.
I am an interreligious partner.
And so, on the morning after
misogyny, racism, xenophobia, homophobia, and Islamophobia
triumphed at the ballot boxes,
my heart grieves.

But I am also a minister
of the Gospel of Jesus Christ,
and on the morning after
I wonder how this could have happened
in a nation that calls itself Christian,
and I realize with great sadness
that we are not who we claim to be.

And so, as I wake up to this painful truth
on the morning after,
I renew my commitment to the prophetic calling
that ignited Jesus’ life and ministry,
and sent him into the streets and roads
where he mingled with marginalized people
offering them dignity and hope:

“The Spirit of the Lord is upon me,
because he has anointed me
to bring good news to the poor.
He has sent me to proclaim release to the captives
and recovery of sight to the blind,
to let the oppressed go free,
to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor.”[1]


And so the question that remains
on the morning after
is who will come along on this challenging journey
of healing and reconciliation,
of justice and liberation,
because it takes a village,
a diverse, visionary and courageous village
of people who want to embody goodwill,
to trump hatred and fear.

Will you register for this campaign
on the morning after?

%%%

“A la mañana siguiente”


Primeras reflexiones sobre la elección de Donald J. Trump como el 45to presidente de Estados Unidos

por Magdalena I. García


Soy una mujer.
Soy una persona de color.
Soy una inmigrante.
Soy una aliada de la comunidad LGBTQ.
Soy colaboradora interreligiosa.
Así que, a la mañana siguiente
del triunfo de la misoginia, el racismo, la xenofobia y la islamofobia
triunfaron en las urnas electorales,
mi corazón se aflige.

Pero también soy una ministra
del Evangelio de Jesucristo,
y en la mañana siguiente
me pregunto cómo pudo suceder esto
en una nación que se llama cristiana,
y comprendo con gran tristeza
que no somos quienes alegamos ser.

Así que, a medida que despierto a esta dolorosa verdad
en la mañana siguiente,
renuevo mi compromiso con el llamado profético
que avivó la vida y el ministerio de Jesús,
y lo envió a las calles y los caminos
donde se mezcló con la gente marginada
y le ofreció dignidad y esperanza:

“El Espíritu del Señor está sobre mí.
Me ha ungido para proclamar buenas noticias a los pobres;
me ha enviado a proclamar libertad a los cautivos,
a dar vista a los ciegos,
a poner en libertad a los oprimidos
 y a proclamar el año de la buena voluntad del Señor”.[2]


Así que la pregunta que resta
en la mañana siguiente
es quién me acompañará en este desafiante viaje
de sanación y reconciliación,
de justicia y liberación,
porque hace falta una aldea,
una aldea diversa, visionaria y valiente
de gente que quiera encarnar la buena voluntad,
para vencer el odio y el miedo.

¿Te inscribirás para esta campaña
en la mañana siguiente?

%%%





[1] Luke 4:18-19, NRSV
[2] Luke 4:18-19, RVC

No comments:

Post a Comment