Monday, March 8, 2010

March 7 - Entertaining Angels


"This is my body, given for you...and for you too."

By Magdalena I. García

Last Tuesday we welcomed an angel into our home, and she came disguised as a stranger. One of my friends and colleagues in ministry was looking for a place where her sister could stay for two nights, and I offered our home. M.F. is working on a Ph.D., and she came to Chicago for a conference held at a fancy hotel downtown, where the daily rates are prohibitive for a graduate student. We are grateful for the hospitality extended to us by family and friends when we travel, so we look forward to the opportunity to extend the same grace to others.

I was at the end of an evening meeting at church when I finally got a call from M.F. She was done for the day and ready to come home, so I gave her precise directions to share with the taxi driver. By the time I got home, she was already there, getting the official house tour from my husband and son, and figuring out her sleeping arrangement. After a brief introduction, we sat around the table and shared split pea soup and stories. It was a delightful conversation, so M.F. and I let the others slip away to bed, while we stayed up chatting until past midnight.

As we read in Hebrews 13:1-2, “Let mutual love continue. Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for by doing that some have entertained angels without knowing it.” Well, let me tell you, this angel descended from Chapel Hill, North Carolina, and she brought with her a bright smile, multilingual conversation, roasted pecans, and milk and dark chocolate truffles. But like a true angel (from the Greek angelos, which means “messenger”), she also brought us a special word: the gift of dietary awareness.

You see, M.F. has wheat and gluten allergies. She travels with her special granola, and she told us about how important—and meaningful—it is to be offered wheat and gluten-free products at the communion table (i.e. the Eucharist). And she especially appreciates not being put on the spot for this, or being made to feel like she is imposing on church volunteers who apparently went to the Wonder Bread School and majored in cutting White slices into crustless cubes.

Today was the first Sunday of the month, and it was communion day for my church. So guess what I placed in the bread basket, alongside pan de Acámbaro (a beautiful Mexican loaf that resembles the texture of challah)? We served Blue Diamond brand, nut and rice crackers that are wheat and gluten free! And at least two of our members were surprised and thankful for the option. I wonder what other small miracles can happen in our lives if we open ourselves to the ministry of entertaining angels.

No comments:

Post a Comment